What is website hosting?
Hosting is simply buying space on a server on which your website will be located and run from. There are many companies that offer hosting and many different types of hosting that you can choose from. The question that many ask of course is which is the best host for WordPress sites. Well obviously the answer is going to very much depend on the type of site that you want and of course the amount of money that you want to spend. As with most things the more you spend the more you get. The following sections will help you with picking a free website hosting and domain name.
What types of hosting can you get?
There are basically 5 types of hosting that you can purchase for your site and these vary from being free to potentially thousands of dollars every month. The following are the types of hosting that you can find:
There are some hosts that offer a free services for your blog or website, however these are free because typically they will be the ones that are placing any advertising on your site so that they can earn from your hard work. They are not always reliable also and can vanish without notice taking your site with them.
This is usually the most affordable and a good place to start for most users of WordPress. What it means is that many sites will be sharing space on a single server. This is usually OK from most sites and small businesses but service can suffer if your site or another site suddenly has a peak in demand.
Virtual Private Server (VPS)
This is similar to shared hosting in that one than one site will be on the server. However with VPS you have a dedicated amount of space and memory allocated to your site ensuring that you will not suffer should another site on the server have a peak in demand.
If you have a high traffic site then you may wish to consider having a dedicated server to host your site. This is where costs can skyrocket as you can select the type of server and software for your application.
You can also pay for managed hosting if you are worried about all of the technical aspects of your site. Managed hosting will look after everything from managing the efficiency of your site through to regular backups.
What should you consider when selecting the best web host for WordPress
There are several factors that you should consider when you are looking at selecting the best host for WordPress sites. The following criteria should always be looked at:
- Disk space and bandwidth: does the host provide you enough physical space on their servers for your site and enough bandwidth to allow a good service to your visitors.
- Server speed: are they using up to date servers running the latest software or are they using out of date servers that should have retired long ago. Site speed is a ranking signal for the search engines so you have to ensure that the service you use can provide a quick page loading time.
- Up time: some hosts are more reliable than others so you do need to see what guarantees they provide with regards to uptime for their service.
- Cost: often a significant factor for many starters, however you have to be aware that you get what you pay for. So a free service may not offer the speed and other factors that you would hope to get. However shared hosting can be found for $5-$10 per month that offers a reasonable service for most sites and small businesses.
- Customer support: some hosts have very poor reputations when it comes to providing users with help when they hit issues. So do look at what support they offer.
Use these free WordPress tutorials for beginners to improve your level of knowledge!
The above will help you to select the best host for WordPress sites for anyone starting out. Most users will find that they will be fine using shared hosting to start with and will use one of the main hosting providers that offer services for WordPress such as: